In Fond Memory Of Engineering Students

Thursday, April 28, 2011





This is in fond memory of engineering students or more appropriately “The Engineering Cult”. I won’t generalize, but truthfully, there are only a few exceptions to this rule. They have a few common tendencies-

1) They think of themselves as superior to commerce students. They think that students like, well me, don't take science to find an easier way out or that they are dumb and don't understand the concepts or are afraid of hard work and things like that. Who are you kidding people? We commerce guys just have different aims.

2) However boastful they are of their intellect, when consulted for advice by juniors, they almost plead with them not to take up engineering as the struggle for it is crushing them. Remember the time you mocked us commerce students that engineering padne ka apna hi tashan hai? Booyaa!

3) Now a special tendency of IITians. These guys are fond of "the catch". For them nothing is straightforward. A simple question put to them like what is 2+2 s answered by a silence of consideration. "The answer can't be 4! There has to be some catch! I will figure it out, that will show them I’m the smartest!" Duh-uh.

About 1 lakh people qualify as engineers every year. Almost half of them have no idea how they landed there. They don't even like engineering! They just go into it thinking its cool. C’mon people, anything you LIKE can be cool. You are the one who has to be cool. You don’t need to burden yourself for attaining degrees you can show off, half heartedly.

Speaking for myself, I belong to a science background, and I love science. Watching my peers and answering their repeated cries of-“I thought you’re gonna take science!” or “ But your parents are doctors!” I was almost swayed to join “The Cult”. But picturing my future, I want to see myself as a writer, start my own magazine and probably a publishing house. Science would be of no help. Commerce is what I need and not a sign of my incompetence.

I’m not justifying my choice here, neither am I discouraging people from taking up engineering. All I want to convey is that- think of yourself in the future and then make your choice. It is these what make you who you are. Don’t be afraid of being mocked for them.


17 comments:

  1. Rahul A.K said...:

    Mast likti ho :P Grammar accha hai..font simple and good looking hai.. ur writing has some charm to it

    And about the topic which you're talking about. I wont say anytin about it coz i am going to science :| :P

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Ahh yes ... the half empty-half full routine ... but you see comparing between science and commerce is like choosing between shirt and trousers :)

    Each has its merits and demerits ... what matters is how you see yourself in the future ...

    BTW : Killer Post =D

  1. Awesome Post ;) :D.!
    So Chose Commerce eh'? :D

    Commerce is great too ;) I love it :D

  1. udita gupta said...:

    awesome hiral! uve written the truth...n i definately agree wid it....many science students take up science just because they think its cool....bt u wud surely find a lot of exeptions!!(me for eg! :P)

  1. Beautifully Written!!
    Most engineers won't like it at all :D
    i loe this article, but trust me I love what I do... i chose IT engineering because I love being a part of it !!

  1. Djamant said...:

    @gvsparx
    yeah there are always exceptions :P
    and I am against the cult thingy....not engineers :P

  1. Gaurav Arora said...:

    hehe!! That's better....
    But i certainly agree, Engineers are always superiority complexed :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    They think they are the best :P
    Weird an engineering student admits it :P

  1. Nikhil... said...:

    Agreed yaar totally :P commercies \m/ :P we will get higher paying jobs :| we will settle earlier :| plus i almost was going to take up science too cos mere ghar mein 1 scientist aur ek 1 engineer hai :P bt screw em all :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @rahul
    do you really WANT science?
    or coz of pressure of some sort?

  1. Djamant said...:

    @tapas bhai

    comparing between science and commerce is like choosing between shirt and trousers :)

    killer line :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @tapas bhai

    comparing between science and commerce is like choosing between shirt and trousers :)

    killer line :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @udita

    you're among the few who actually have taken up science bcoz they like it. Infact I only met one more who actually loves their subject :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @pooja

    yeah baby, i took commerce, and Im loving it <3

  1. Djamant said...:

    @nikhil

    both my parents are doctors
    grandfather is an engineer
    and i love science, sorta
    but well, we must be practical dont we?

  1. Aakanksha said...:

    I so agree with you that we must take what we LIKE rather than joining the cult just like that.! :P
    And, even I was going to take Science before. :P
    But, Commerce. \m/ :P

  1. Rahul A.K said...:

    @hiral: I tend to take science cause my dad..yes..he is the very reason.. But i also tend to find civil engg. interesting :P

Post a Comment

Lemme know how you liked it!

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs