Unmasked

Monday, December 12, 2011

Does everyone wear a mask?

Yes, I do
And not just one at it
A new one for each person I meet
It’s because I don’t want them to know me
Until I permit them to
Until I’m sure the knowledge lies in safe hands



You may remember my status not long ago

To know who you are without any delusions or sympathy is a moment of revelation that no one survives unscathed. Some have been driven to madness by the stark reality. Most try to forget it. But as much as it gives another power, so you may gain power over yourself, if the truth doesn’t break you.

The concept of masks is best explained by sir Paulini in this book (unintentionally?)

He says that a Rider has 2 names. One is his real name and the other is the one with which others know him. The real name is hidden, even from himself. It is only after an enormous amount of deliberation can he know his own reality. Only few have the courage to undergo this deliberation. Even fewer survive it.

The knowledge of your reality has the power to destroy you. Do you really consider it wise to vest it in unworthy hands? Or in any hands for that matter? Because, in a moment, intentionally or not, they may completely destroy you.

Taking the risk of revealing yourself is sheer stupidity. The mask gives you the confidence of survival. The mask can be altered. The mask is convenient.

We ourselves must master the skill of controlling our masks. The act of thinking and the precision of execution is a step towards invulnerability. When none can guess, none can predict, none can conquer. Basically, you need to be a good Occlumens. Shut your mind and shut your mouth. For your own safety.



You may argue, what about trust? If we trust someone with our lives, surely we can trust them with our identity.

Not quite. When you yourself are unlikely to survive the encounter, how can you expect another to handle it well? It’s just too much information.

The mask, although may slip. It’s acceptable. Just an inch or so, to reveal your eyes. Eyes are the biggest giveaway. Eyes are the epitome of all that it true. Not even an accomplished liar can control their activity.





Now while you ponder over this stuff I will go design myself another mask. Now I hope my brother, I answered you well.



7 comments:

  1. MonkAvantGarde said...:

    Bravo!

    Loved it truly, without a doubt one of the most insightful piece i have read, certainly by someone as young as you :P

    phenomenal deduction and association with relevant works
    more reasons for me to read the inheritance cycle now

    Loved it a lot

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Yea this is a fact re :P
    for example we wont b same infront of our parents as we r wit our friends na .Masks r for safety :P

    nych one hiru \m/

  1. Djamant said...:

    @mayu bhai

    Hehe the pen is lucky :D

  1. Rutaba Tariq said...:

    Wonderfully constructed :D Very well done

  1. Anonymous said...:

    So profound. I like how you're always learning something meaningful (philosophical?) from each fantasy book.
    I love your blog! :)

  1. Ivan Mehta said...:

    I am ready to take a risk. I am ready to see me without mask. Satisfaction of truth is more than satisfaction of comfort.

Post a Comment

Lemme know how you liked it!

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs