You gotta be kidding me!

Friday, May 27, 2011

It was the first time I left a book unread after flipping through the first few pages. And it is saying something because I even read twilight when my friend suggested I read it ( I feel like I betrayed Harry Potter). But anyway, this one was even WORSE!

Ever since I read Vikram Seth’s poem in my English textbook and “A thing beyond forever” by Navoneel Chakraborty, I’ve been interested in reading more works by Indian authors. So one day I walked into the earlier strictly prohibited section of English books by Indian authors and got three books with good titles (atleast better than the others…er)
Not suspecting anything amiss, I started reading one and there I saw a-wait-ah no!- I’ll say it,-a – nooo!, okay a GRAMMATICAL ERROR! What? Sorry! A GRAMMATICAL BLUNDER!!

The book was written in PRESENT tense. Period.

No book is ever written in present tense. Atleast not the one in which the protagonist recollects his past that is the ones written in FLASHBACK MODE!
Realizing this I threw away the book in disgust as if it were something infectious, figuratively speaking as I respect books too much to do that. (as a punishment for it I put it in the darkest, most dusty, dingy-est and farthest corner of my bookshelf).

Plucking up courage, I started with the second one. Why didn’t my eyes POP OUT! It had SMS-LINGO!! And if that was not enough, 
*dramatic pause*
*drumroll*

SPELLING ERRORS!! Do not get me started on grammar.

To get over the misery I read The Digital Fortress. Again.

Third time lucky, I prayed, begged. No, grammar was fine. But story, not so. A college romance, again. Excused. Bad try at humour. Cannot be excused. Looked like a copy from some Bollywood chic-flick. And a bad copy, if I might add.

( no details as to the identity given because I don’t want you guys to ass kick me if you happen to like them, wait, since that’s not possible let me rephrase, “if you are the author because no one else would read it anyway. )

I always thought that before publishing a book it was thoroughly scrutinized, edited and a cover page carefully designed (and not use a stupid collage of some random pictures on a white background and no contrast or some cheaply  photoshoped cloudy background with unrelated gifs strewn all over it haphazardly or maybe some unremarkable landscape). How can a publishing company be so desperate to publish something, anything, that it can gamble its credibility for it? Because a bad story can still be excused as a fault of the writer, but GRAMMATICAL ERRORS are just TOO MUCH!

I promise to you my readers, that when I have my own publishing house, I would never allow such a catastrophe. Only the best would be published. If any of my fellow blogers want something published, they might send it to me. Special discounts if you are following my blog. Hurry! (advertising already am I ? ). Anyways,

Conditions apply.

9 comments:

  1. lol!
    I dont know what to say.
    I mean this is crazy yaar.
    We dont use chat lingo in our blogs only! They are using it in books! :|
    So bad.
    Seriously I would never want to read such books!

    BTW I know you will write great books!
    Send me first copy with your autograph :D

  1. Anonymous said...:

    S**t happens :-p

  1. Djamant said...:

    @pooja
    yeah SMS lingo is good only for SMS. We would expect more from a punlished book.
    And surely will send you a book, if i am patient enough to write one!

  1. Djamant said...:

    @anonymous
    er....yeah it does :|

  1. Aakanksha said...:

    Lol :P
    Btw, mai SMS me bhi normally likhti hun. :| :P
    And and and.. I follow your blog. So discount pakka na? :D :P

  1. Rahul A.K said...:

    Aweshome blogpost \m/ U write some really good interesting shit :P U would make a great writer seriously and if u do become a writer, mere paas aa and we will start a gossip magazine ;) :| :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @aakanksha
    sms lingo looks cheap and is suitable only to cut down characters when they exceed SMS limit :P
    and yeah discount pakka :P

  1. Djamant said...:

    @rahul
    magazine im gonna start. Had it in mind since ages.
    But gossip? :P

  1. Shriram said...:

    nice post :)
    Piece of advice :P
    Never judge a book by its cover :P just skim through the content before buying it :)
    n I have read a good fantasy novel by an Indian author so I wont blame all the Indian authors.
    So if these people can get their work published maybe even my work will be published someday :P

Post a Comment

Lemme know how you liked it!

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs